Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Onward to a new city!!! Oyama, Tochigi!!!

Hi! Heather is back online....It has been a while since I have blogged. With my first host family I lived on the grounds of a buddist Temple. My host family was a buddist priest and what a lovely family. I was adorned with presents every day and treated like Royalty!!! I have experienced so much and been privy to such things as harvesting rice....yes, Heather in a field of rice with boots up to my knees and sweat pouring down, with a sickle in my hand and with insurance professionals from Tokyo who had never seen the grass!!!! What a sight we all were....the only thing was, I stuck out...way out!!!! I had the opportunity to witness a buddist fire ceremony with the Afuwane Rotary club, ( this club was one that my host father belonged and I was the only one of the team that was in attendance ) some members had never seen a fire ceremony in their lifetime. I was asked to sing the National Anthem, which I did with utmost pride...I asked them to return the favour and I was graced with 12 men singing a beautiful Japanese tradional song. I was then asked to sing a song I would sing with my clients. I said that I would as long as they assisted me....so picture 12 Rotarians singing...are you ready..."Skiddermerinkydinkydink"...and laughing...mind you they had been drinking sake for 1 hour!!! Sorry guys...I gave the secret away!!!! I was then offered a job as well as the first lady to join their Rotary club...Sorry Sunrise Chatham, it looks like I am moving to Japan!!!!

Typhoon #18 is quickly approaching, however, noone seems too concerned. I am told "they are accustomed to it"...hmmmmm....it looks pretty big to us on the radar!!! Schools are already closed down for tomorrow and my new host mom has been tying everything down with rope!!!! I am in a pretty secure, lovely house, so I am safe. Tochigi is up in the mountains, unlike Tokyo being in the low lying areas!!!

I have had a blast with my new host family. Their daughter Maiko is around my age and her son is 6!!!! He has been studying English and is so good. It does make me a little homesick...Boys I miss you so much...but have lots of presents for you!!!! She has moved back in with her parents for the duration of my stay, as her parents do not speak very much English.

Tomorrow we are heading to Mashiko to make pottery, that is if the typhoon doesn`t hold us back... I will post pics tomorrow...maybe even a typhoon picture!!!

ja mata....see you later!!!

1 comment:

  1. It appears you are all having a great time. We leave for our exchange with District 2760 (Nagoya) in 24 days.

    ReplyDelete